We have included products that we believe will be useful to our readers. If you make a purchase through links on this site, we may receive a small commission.Here is our process.
Medical News Today only features the brands and products we endorse.
Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our website. To determine that product manufacturers have met safety and efficacy standards, we do the following:
- Rate the ingredients and the composition:Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- View all health claims:Are they consistent with current scientific knowledge?
- Rate the brand:Do you work with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
We research so you can find products you can trust for your health and well-being.
Read more about our verification process.
Arthritis affects millions of people in the United States. For some people, arthritis pain can be severe and affect their ability to do daily tasks. A thumb brace can help relieve pain caused by arthritis and other conditions.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
ÖAmerican Society for Surgery of the Handstates that arthritis of the thumb is the second most common form of arthritis in the hand.
This article covers thumb braces and when to see a doctor. It also answers some frequently asked questions.
- The best neoprene material: Bracoo thumb stabilizer
- Best Medical Velcro: BraceAbility Daumenschiene
- The best soft touch material: BraceUP thumb loop
- Beste Multipack-Option: Vive Gel Thumb Support
- Best Aluminum Core: 3D FLA Orthopedics Adjustable thumb brace
- Best Copper Siding: Long copper thumb clamp
- Best 1 Year Satisfaction Guarantee: USA Solid Thumb Splint
Please note that the author of this article has not tested these products. All information presented is based solely on research.
(Video) Mayo Clinic Minute: Cause, remedies for thumb arthritis
Thumb braces can provide support for people with problemsthumb pain. A thumb brace can help reduce pain, increase stability, and relieve stress on the joint.
People with arthritis can wear a thumb brace if that area of the hand is affected.
Other conditions in which a person may wear a thumb brace include:
- Sprained thumbÖfracture
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Ranger thumb
- skiers thumb
- de Quervain's tendonitis
A person may also need to wear a thumb brace after surgery.
Learn more about osteoarthritis of the thumb here.
A person may want to consider the following factors when looking for a thumb brace:
- Left or right hand:People need to consider which hand is affected. Some models of thumb braces are reversible and can be worn on either hand by one person.
- location of pain:Some products support just the thumb or different areas of the thumb. A person who also needs wrist support should consider a model with dual functionality.
- Support level:Some people may benefit from a light support, while others may need something firmer.
- Material:People find some materials more comfortable than others. A person might also consider purchasing a thumb brace that uses a durable and breathable material, especially if they need to wear the brace for an extended period of time.
- Adjustability:Many thumb braces allow for some adjustment, allowing a person to select the correct level of compression.
The products we describe in the next section are available on Amazon.
How we select the products
medical news todayChoose products that meet the following criteria:
- Preis:Products are available for a variety of budgets.
- Characteristics:The products have a variety of functions to meet individual needs.
- Physical fitness:The products come in different styles and use different materials.
Below we have listed seven of the best wrenches on the market:
Bracoo thumb stabilizer
The best neoprene material
This breathable and moisture-wicking neoprene thumb brace fits both right and left hands. It also has an inner sleeve and an adjustable thumb loop that fits all thumb sizes.
The hidden splint is discreet and keeps the base of the thumb in place while maintaining flexibility in the fingers. The company also claims that this thumb brace has a universal fit.
The price is around $29.99 on Amazon.
The best medical Velcro
This splint provides a firm grip as it is made of rigid, perforated polyamide plastic. This plastic does not contain latex.
The company claims that the product is durable, waterproof and has a medical-grade Velcro closure.
The splint is available in three sizes for right or left thumb. There is also a soft sleeve to prevent the splint from rubbing against the skin.
The product costs around $34.99 on Amazon.
BraceUP thumb loop
The best material with a soft touch.
This product uses a soft material that the company claims is breathable and wicks away heat and moisture.
The company also claims that the strap has a universal fit, making it suitable for both left and right hands.
The strap itself is light. Additionally, the manufacturer provides adjustable straps so that a person can tighten the orthosis to the desired level of support.
The price is around $9.99 on Amazon.
Vive Gel Thumb Support
The best multipack option
This product uses a latex-free flexible gel that also:
- tear resistant
- without smell
The manufacturer claims that this thumb brace offers slight compression while maintaining flexibility.
The product is available in two colors and each person will receive a pack of two, one for each hand. The material has stretch, so it's likely to fit most hand and wrist sizes.
The product costs around $8.99 on Amazon.
3D FLA Orthopedics Adjustable thumb brace
best aluminum core
This thumb brace is available in black or gray and in different sizes. A person can also choose between the left hand and the right hand.
The materials used are water and dirt repellent. There's also a soft, malleable aluminum core that molds to a person's needs. In addition, the orthosis has a smooth edge for extra comfort.
According to the manufacturer, this design won the Red Dot Award in 2014.
The price is around $54.40 on Amazon.
Long copper thumb clamp
The best copper-based coating
This brand adds copper to the plating of their products for the best benefits and durability.
The manufacturer makes this product from a flexible nylon fabric that wicks moisture and protects against odors.
The company claims that the orthosis has a universal fit and is suitable for both the right and left hand. The product also has adjustable Velcro straps.
According to the manufacturer, the product does not irritate the skin, is comfortable and safe and lasts all day.
This long thumb brace is around $20.95 on Amazon.
USA Solid Thumb Splint
The Best 1 Year Satisfaction Guarantee
This product is available in two sizes and can be worn by one person on the right or left hand.
The material of this splint is a breathable neoprene and the splint has velcro straps for easy adjustment. The inner rail is made of metal.
The company claims that the product is certified by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Additionally, this thumb splint comes with a 1-year satisfaction guarantee.
The price is around $12.99 on Amazon.
ÖArthritis Foundationsuggests that a person should see a doctor if they:
- Concerns about joint pain
- had arthritis symptoms lasting at least 3 days
- had joint pain several times over the course of a month
Arthritis symptoms can include:
- joint pain,swelling, tenderness orrigidity
- swollen jointsthey feel warm
- Difficulty moving the joints
Here we answer some of the most common questions about a thumb brace for arthritis:
Does thumb arthritis go away?
Thumb arthritis doesn't go away, but symptoms can come and go. Also, a person can control their symptoms with thumb braces and other methods.
How long do you have to wear a thumb brace?
In general, a person can wear a thumb brace from a few days to a few weeks.
Can I sleep with my thumb vest?
Yes, a person can wear a thumb brace while sleeping if it is comfortable.
Thumb braces can help support your thumb and prevent it from moving too much. This brace can be beneficial for people with arthritis of the thumb or another condition that affects the thumb.
In addition to a universal fit, many thumb braces have adjustable straps to tighten the brace so it can provide the desired amount of compression.
A person should seek the advice of a doctor if they think they may have arthritis symptoms.