T-Mobile Senior Plans: What you need to know
- For seniors 55 and older, T-Mobile's senior plans start at $27.50 per month and include unlimited calls, texts and data.
- T-Mobile senior plans are available nationwideSimilar Verizon plansand AT&T are available to Florida residents only.
- Depending on the T-Mobile plan you choose, subscriptions to Netflix, AAA, and Apple TV may also be included.
For your information:T-Mobile may be a great option for unlimited data, but it's far from the cheapest carrier. To find providers starting at $15 per month, check out our guideThe best mobile phone plans for seniors.
Pros and Cons of T-Mobile
- cheap unlimited data: With unlimited talk, text and data plans starting at $27.50 per month per line, T-Mobile is easily the cheapest unlimited plan of any major carrier, not to mention one of the few with 5G access.
- Nationwide availability:While Verizon andoffer similar discounted plans for seniors, only T-Mobile plans are available in all states.
- No annual contracts: T-Mobile Unlimited 55+ plans require no long-term contracts and are guaranteed not to increase in price.
- international reference: T-Mobile Senior plans offer unlimited data in Mexico and Canada, as well as data and text data abroad.
- Advanced features: While other carriers like Mint and Cricket offer affordable unlimited plans, T-Mobile is the only one that offers 5G data, mobile hotspot usage, and monthly payments.
Disadvantages of T-Mobile
- Multiple lines are required for lower values: T-Mobile Unlimited 55+ plans require multiple lines for the best price. However, a subscription to the Essentials 55+ plan costs $40 per month, which is still below average.
Discover T-Mobile coverage
Before choosing a mobile phone provider, you should first consider whether you are covered. Thanks to the merger withPique, T-Mobile now offers even more impressive coverage across the United States and beyond. Most urban and suburban areas are covered. However, rural customers should check if this network works for them. T-Mobile offers on its website acoverage mapThis not only allowed us to check the coverage in our area, but also, for example, when traveling to a remote family cabin, we could check the reliability of the coverage there.
The shopping experience with T-Mobile
What we also really liked about T-Mobile is the lack of additional products and services. While this may seem like a no-brainer, when you shop at Verizon or AT&T (companies that offer home services like internet, cable, and landline), navigating the various products can be difficult. Also, with so many product offerings, companies try to sell bundled services to new customers, and it can be confusing to know if we're competitively priced or if we've been sold services we didn't need.
Fortunately, T-Mobile's offering is limited to cellular services, which, while still a little complicated, take the guesswork out of the process. One area where T-Mobile excels is customer service, which also helps with the purchase process. In our interactions with the company, the customer support team is always friendly and chatty and has a clear understanding of their plans to help answer any questions. The company has prominent phone numbers as well as live online chat to get in touch with a representative.
However, the downside to T-Mobile's 55+ plans is that they cannot be purchased online without the help of a customer service representative. Due to age verification, we had to speak to an agent to get the plan we wanted. While this process is a bit more arduous than simple online shopping, the worst part is having a representative walk us through plans, phone options, and more so that we have a completely transparent explanation of what we're paying for. For.
Use:T-Mobile has more than 8,000 retail locations nationwide. So if you prefer to shop in person, the store locator on the website might be a good place to start.
The actual purchase process is relatively simple with T-Mobile. We choose from three 55+ packages, choose from participating devices included in the program and go live. There were some nuances in the designs themselves that affected the purchase process, so let's take a closer look.
Analysis of plans for over 55s
T-Mobile offers its customers over the age of 55 three rates: Essentials 55+, Magenta 55+ and Magenta MAX 55+. Each design has something to offer depending on what you want from a phone. For those who want to keep in touch with family or for emergencies, the smaller Essentials plan could be a good choice, while the Magenta plan is more for tech-savvy users who use their phones for video streaming, social media and want you to use other apps. .
Let's take a look at the designs and compare them:
|Basically 55+||Magenta 55+||Magenta MAX 55+|
|Price per line (with two lines)||$27.50/Label||$35/month||$45/month|
|Taxes and fees are included||NO||And||And|
|Unlimited calls, messages and data||And||And||And|
|foreign service||Text messages only||Text and data messages||Text and data messages at 2X speed|
|There are no annual service contracts||And||And||And|
|transmission quality||standard definition||standard definition||High definition|
|Mobile hotspot data||3G||5 GB 4G LTE||40 GB 4G LTE|
|Service in Mexico and Canada||2G data||5GB of 4G data||5GB of 4G data|
|WLAN and Bord||NO||1 hour||Unlimited|
|"Netflix on us"||NO||And||And|
Unlike other providers (seeConsumer Cellular Review) All T-Mobile plans offer more customizable plans with talk-only options and include unlimited calls, texts, and data. All plans also include 50GB of data per month before service drops, which we think is more than enough to cover normal phone usage.
Another aspect of T-Mobile's plans is that two of the three plans do not include taxes or additional fees when you sign up for Auto Pay (meaning monthly fees are automatically deducted from your bill).
Use:Although the plans themselves are not subject to taxes or fees, customers may be subject to these additional phone or SIM card charges when purchasing the plan. The no-tax, no-fee guarantee applies to the plan price only.
While buying a phone plan can be a relatively complicated process with a number of different and occasionally conflicting offers, we've found T-Mobile to be extremely transparent when it comes to pricing. The plan descriptions contain a number of explanatory explanations as well as a detailed FAQ section to help us answer any questions you may have. Another big advantage of T-Mobile is that no annual service contracts are required. Therefore, it is easy to cancel the service if it does not meet expectations.
The unique features of the T-Mobile plans also deserve a little more explanation. Let's take a quick look at the various benefits included in the plans.
- sign of fraud: As anyone with a phone can attest, the number of robocalls we get is out of control. According to the FCC, US consumers received approx4 billion automated calls per monthin 2020. That's why T-Mobile introduced Scam Shield to combat this problem. T-Mobile customers can download the free Scam Shield app or upgrade to Scam Shield Premium for a small fee.
- “Free stuff every week: T-Mobile offers its customers special offers and sales every week called T-Mobile Tuesdays. While the deals aren't spectacular, some perks like free Postmates delivery for three months are a nice bonus.
Quick note:Both ScamShield and T-Mobile Tuesdays are free add-on apps that T-Mobile Android and Apple customers can download to access the Services.
- services abroad: One of the things we love most about T-Mobile is that they take good care of international travelers. All Unlimited 55+ plans offer text or text and data. For example, the Magenta 55+ plan offers 5GB of 4G data in Mexico and Canada, and the Magenta MAX 55+ offers twice the data and messaging speed abroad.
- Service in Mexico and Canada: T-Mobile offers data service throughout North America. We were able to get 2G data coverage for the Essentials 55+ plan, and the Magenta 55+ and Magenta MAX 55+ plans offer up to 5GB of 4G data, which helps a lot when you're looking for the best bagel in Montreal.
- transmission: Video streaming is a big part of phone usage these days. At T-Mobile, the Essentials 55+ and Magenta plans offer unlimited standard definition (480p, "DVD quality") streaming, and the Magenta MAX 55+ plan offers unlimited HD streaming up to 4K.
- Netflix for us: Magenta 55+ and Magenta MAX 55+ plans offer Netflix streaming. The Magenta 55+ plan offers a basic 1-screen Netflix plan in standard definition, and the Magenta MAX 55+ plan offers a basic 1-screen Netflix plan and a standard 2-screen Netflix plan in HD for more than two lines. accounts
T-Mobile offers dozens of phones to go with its 55+ plans, from the latest iPhones to Samsung's Galaxy line of devices. Phones can be purchased in two ways: either buying them outright with a one-off fee or adding the cost of the device to your monthly bill and paying it off, usually over a 24-month period. If you have a phone you like, you can also bring it to T-Mobile and activate it with your plan, although some service restrictions may apply (it's always best to check with customer service to make sure the phone works for you ). .
However, for the purposes of this T-Mobile review, we'll be looking at the phones that come with their recommended 55+ plans. These phones are free when you sign up for a new plan. This means that after you've used your plan for 24 months, you'll be refunded the amount you paid to cover phone costs.
- Google Pixel 6:You can get the Pixel 6 for free with the Magenta MAX 55+ trade-in program. With 128GB of storage, this smartphone has a long battery life and a powerful new camera system. If you are concerned about security, this smartphone comes with Titan M2 Security with fingerprint unlock. Powered by Google's Tensor processor, this smartphone is perfect for older adults who enjoy taking family photos with wide-angle and ultra-sharp lenses. With a 6.4-inch screen and a resolution of 2340 x 1080, this device has a one-time price of $599.99 or a monthly price of $25 for 24 months.
- Samsung Galaxy A11: This entry-level Samsung model features an edge-to-edge 1560 x 720 display, 32GB of internal storage, and a 13-megapixel (MP) triple-lens camera for high-quality photos and videos. The phone runs Android and has a fingerprint sensor for added device security. However, the big selling point of this camera is its battery life. The A11 offers 30 hours of talk time and has a quick charge function that quickly brings it back to full power. The A11 has a full price of $180 and a monthly price of $7.50 per month.
- Samsung Galaxy A10e: The A10e, also from Samsung, has a smaller frame than the A11, weighs a few grams less and has a smaller screen. The A10e has 32GB of internal storage, a 1560 x 720 display and a battery with 23 hours of talk time. What sets the A10e apart is its dual camera. The device has an 8 MP rear camera and a 5 MP front camera for taking selfies. Like the A11, the A10e has a one-time price of $180 and a monthly value of $7.50.
- REVVLRY by T-Mobile: This T-Mobile-branded phone has 32GB of internal storage, a 13MP camera with fast focus, and a battery with 24 hours of talk time. The device also features a fingerprint scanner for added security and a Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 632 octa-core processor that helps reduce device lag when playing games or taking photos. REVVLRY™ is also slightly cheaper than Samsung's options, costing a one-time fee of $168 or $7 per month.
- LG Aristo 5: LG's Aristo is similar to the Galaxy A10e but with a smaller overall size and weight, but with a 13MP rear camera and a 5MP front camera. The device also has an internal memory of 32 GB and a battery of ten hours of talk time. Aristo is also the cheapest camera offered on the 55+ plans, starting at $6.25 per month or $150 full price.
- LG K51: The K51 is the largest phone offered in the 55+ plans, weighing in at over 7 ounces. The device has 32GB of storage, triple 13MP rear cameras as well as a 13MP front camera, 23 hours of battery talk time, and a stereo surround sound speaker system. This full-featured phone is the most expensive device offered on the 55+ plans. It costs $7.75 per month or $186 regular price.
While there are a number of cell phone plans specifically aimed at seniors, such as Consumer Cellular (or check ours for another example).Jitterbug Smart3 Review), there's a lot to be said for keeping your phone service with one of the top three carriers in the US. The best domestic and international coverage offers the freedom to move without worrying about losing service when you need it most.
We were impressed that T-Mobile offered over 55 plans while the other two major carriers did not, and we were even more impressed with the package pricing and device options available. In general, T-Mobile is a transparent and friendly company, which is good because buying cell phones and cell phone plans can be a complicated or confusing task.
To learn more about our most popular mobile phones and plans for seniors, be sure to check out our helpful guides:
- The best mobile phones for seniors
- The best flip phones for seniors
- Simpler phones for seniors
- The best iPhones for seniors
- Cricket Wireless for seniors
- Mint Mobile Review
- How does T-Mobile verify age?
If you purchase your device in-store, T-Mobile may verify your age using government-issued identification such as a driver's license or passport. If you purchase a 55+ plan online, you'll need to speak with a live chat agent who can verify your age using your social security number or bank details (same for phone orders).
- Do the two users of the telephone connection have to be over 55?
No. And that's the great thing about T-Mobile's 55+ plans: Only the primary account holder needs to be 55+.
- Can I add more than two lines to a T-Mobile 55+ plan?
Currently, the Essentials 55+ plan can only be used with up to two lines. However, Magenta 55+ and Magenta 55+ MAX can be used with up to four lines.
- Will the Essentials plan go away?
Although T-Mobile's website says the Essentials plan is a limited-time promotion, those who sign up now will have as long as they choose to keep the plan.
The difference between Magenta Unlimited 55+ and Magenta Max Unlimited 55+ is that the latter comes with 4K UHD streaming and 40GB of 4G LTE mobile hotspot data. Magenta Unlimited 55+ only offers SD streaming and 5GB of 4G LTE mobile hotspot data. You can know more about these plans here.What is the difference between T-Mobile Magenta 55+ and Magenta Max 55+? ›
The difference between Magenta Unlimited 55+ and Magenta Max Unlimited 55+ is that the latter comes with 4K UHD streaming and 40GB of 4G LTE mobile hotspot data. Magenta Unlimited 55+ only offers SD streaming and 5GB of 4G LTE mobile hotspot data. You can know more about these plans here.Does everyone on T-Mobile 55+ have to be over 55? ›
Who's eligible for this plan? New and existing T-Mobile customers who are 55 years of age or older are eligible. To receive this discount, proof of age is required.Does everyone have to be 55+ on T-Mobile plan? ›
For T-Mobile's senior plans, only the primary account holder needs to be 55 years or older. Additional lines do not require age verification. Can I add more than two lines on a T-Mobile 55+ plan?How many lines are on a magenta 55+ plan? ›
T-Mobile's Magenta 55+ plan with 1-2 lines offers more features and opportunities for seniors looking to save money on a feature rich unlimited data plan. This webpage may contain affiliate links and, at no additional cost to you, we may receive a commission if you make a purchase after clicking a link on this site.How much is 5 lines on Magenta Max 55? ›
|Total Cost||Unlimited Data|
Upgrades Summary: You are eligible for this benefit after paying 50 percent of your device cost through an Equipment Installment Plan (EIP). You must also be current with your scheduled Equipment Installment Plan (EIP) payments and your wireless service payments. The device must be in good working order.Is Netflix free with T-Mobile senior plan? ›
Does Netflix On Us mean Netflix is free at T-Mobile? Netflix Basic (1-screen, a value of up to $9.99/mo) is included at no additional cost on any Go5G or Magenta plan with two or more lines, or on any Go5G Plus or Magenta MAX single line plan, including Military, 55, and First Responder plans.How much is magenta max for 2 lines? ›
|Data Max Speed||5G / 4G LTE|
|Data Throttled After||100 GB|
|Data Overage Charges||$0.00|
upgrade programs will have the fee waived "as a program benefit." Business customers will only be charged the fee if they activate a new device in-store, and prepaid plans are exempt entirely.How many free lines can I get with T-Mobile? ›
How many lines can you add on T-Mobile? You can have up to 12 voice lines and 20 mobile internet lines on a regular Magenta or Magenta MAX customer account, Essentials plans may have up to six voice lines.How does T-Mobile free upgrade work? ›
Forever Upgrade gives you up to $800 in trade-in value every two or more years. Your redemption date changed because you upgraded before the two-year mark. Your new redemption date to receive up to $800 in trade-in value is 24 months from your most recent upgrade date.How much is magenta for 6 lines? ›
The Magenta and Magenta Max plans were introduced in their place. The Magenta plans are essentially the same as the One plans, but they do come with some upgrades. Most notably, the plans offer 5G data, unlike the One plans that offered only 4G LTE at the time.What's the difference between Magenta Max and Go5G plus? ›
You can think of Go5G as a slightly pricier version of Magenta, while Go5G Plus is a slightly pricier version of Magenta Max. Both are largely similar to T-Mobile's existing options, just with a few new perks like more high-speed data in Canada and Mexico and more hotspot data in the US.How much is the Magenta Max plan a month? ›
|T-Mobile Magenta Max||Unlimited||$85|
You may also get monthly bill credits for up to eight lines on a qualifying plan when AutoPay (with an eligible payment method) is active for your entire billing cycle.What is included in T-Mobile Magenta Max? ›
- Unlimited talk, text, and smartphone data on our network.
- Premium Data – Unlimited smartphone speeds can't slow based on usage.
- Netflix On Us.
- Mobile Hotspot – 40GB high-speed data, then Unlimited at 3G speeds.
- Unlimited Video Streaming, up to 4k UHD.
- 5G access at no extra cost.
T-Mobile's Magenta plan includes unlimited minutes, unlimited messages, and unlimited data that isn't throttled until you've used 50 GB / month.
The nationwide average phone bill totals around $166 per month, so you probably shouldn't be spending more than that. If your phone bill is too high, evaluate all of your options to make sure you're getting the best deal.Is it okay to ask for free upgrade? ›
So while you shouldn't expect a free upgrade on a flight, you can still ask for upgrades from booking till boarding — and you may be able to pay your way to a much more comfortable seat.How to get a free upgrade? ›
- Earn airline elite status. ...
- Fly with someone who has airline elite status. ...
- Ask an elite member for their unused upgrades. ...
- Volunteer for an oversold flight. ...
- Purchase upgrades with the right credit card. ...
- Use miles to upgrade. ...
- Pay for a last-minute upgrade.
Buying phones online is generally less expensive because retailers and salespeople add their own commission to the prices of phones sold in physical stores.Is Hulu free with T-Mobile? ›
As a subscriber billed by T-Mobile, your eligible plan includes access to Hulu's ad-supported plan. For an additional fee, you can switch to Hulu (No Ads) and further customize your subscription with add-ons.How do I qualify for free Netflix with T-Mobile? ›
Receive Netflix Basic (1-screen, up to $9.99/mo. value) while you maintain 1 qualifying Magenta Max line or 2+ qualifying Magenta lines in good standing. Receive Netflix Standard (2-screens, up to $15.49/mo. value) while you maintain 2+ qualifying Magenta Max lines in good standing.How much does Magenta max cost for 3 lines? ›
The $35 activation fee stings, but T-Mobile stresses that it's a one-time charge — and it's also one you can avoid by activating a new smartphone with the carrier prior to the November 15 date for the fee to take effect.What is the T-Mobile $35 support fee? ›
Report, T-Mobile's new Device Connection Charge (DCC) is a one-time $35 (plus applicable taxes) charge for connecting a new device to the network when activating or upgrading with T-Mobile.
T-Mobile's $35 activation fee will soon apply to almost every device transaction. It will prevent people from avoiding the fee by using the carrier's online system for upgrades and activations, as reported earlier Monday by T-Mo Report citing internal company documents, some of which were posted on Reddit.How much is the activation fee for T-Mobile? ›
New postpaid activations of a line of service are subject to a $35 activation fee, and may be required to provide a deposit.Does T-Mobile offer truly unlimited data? ›
Get unlimited talk, text, and data at an unbeatable price. All on a network that works for you. During congestion, customers on this plan may notice speeds lower than other customers and further reduction if using >50GB/mo., due to data prioritization. Video typically streams on smartphone/tablet at DVD quality (480p).Is T-Mobile actually unlimited? ›
T-Mobile Go5G Plus
Go5G Plus is T-Mobile's top-tier, truly unlimited plan. It comes with unlimited premium data, 50GB of hotspot data, the best video streaming capacity and the largest number of free or discounted additional benefits and perks.
Your phone could be vulnerable to attacks
Basically, cyber-criminals will look for security flaws they can use to break into Android, letting them install malware, or spy on or take control of people's phones. Phone companies regularly patch up such holes with updates.
T-Mobile's new plan lets customers upgrade their phones whenever they want, up to three times a year. The "Jump On Demand" program is essentially a phone leasing program.How often can I upgrade my T-Mobile phone? ›
Upgrades to get the latest smartphones and tablets, after 12 months or once you've paid off half of your device. JUMP! Upgrades are part of many benefits you enjoy with Protection<360>®, which also includes comprehensive device and content coverage.Is the T-Mobile One plan the same as Magenta? ›
The T-Mobile One plan is now Magenta. The name change isn't the only thing different about the new plan, though, because Magenta also includes 3GB of high-speed 4G LTE mobile hotspot usage per line followed by unlimited 3G hotspot use.Does T-Mobile use Verizon towers? ›
Does T-Mobile use Verizon towers? No, T-Mobile doesn't use Verizon towers. T-Mobile and Verizon operate their own independent cellular networks.Is T-Mobile hotspot free? ›
Cost and eligibility
SMHS is included with Magenta, ONE Plan, and Simple Choice plans. The price varies depending on the data allotment of your plan, such as 5 GB with our Magenta or Magenta MAX plan with 40 GB. You can add more high-speed data if you need to.
With today's announcement, T-Mobile is allowing customers to add a line for $35 per line after the original 2 for $70 arrangement. There is a limit of up to four lines per account. Meanwhile, the Magenta Max 55+ is available at $45 per line/month after the first line.How many lines are on a Magenta 55+ plan? ›
T-Mobile's Magenta 55+ plan with 1-2 lines offers more features and opportunities for seniors looking to save money on a feature rich unlimited data plan. This webpage may contain affiliate links and, at no additional cost to you, we may receive a commission if you make a purchase after clicking a link on this site.How many voice lines can be on the Magenta 55 plan? ›
Can I have more than two lines on my Go5G 55 plan? Yes. Customers on a Go5G 55 or Go5G Plus 55 plan can have up to four voice lines on their account.How much is magenta max for 1 person? ›
|Total Cost||Unlimited Data|
$30/month. W/AutoPay discount using eligible payment method and a Go5G Plus or Magenta® MAX line.Is T-Mobile Magenta Plus the same as Magenta Max? ›
Magenta Plus is now Magenta MAX
The Magenta MAX plan includes unlimited on-device high-speed data, just as the Magenta Plus plan did. But Magenta Max will not be subject to network management thresholds - all data will be premium data.
However, the benefits of T-Mobile Magenta are significantly fewer. Premium 4G/5G data is capped at 100GB per month, while Magenta Max customers have unlimited data. Similarly, high-speed mobile hotspot data is capped at 5GB for Magenta vs. 40GB for Magenta Max.Does magenta 55 include Netflix? ›
Netflix Basic (1-screen, a value of up to $9.99/mo) is included at no additional cost on any Go5G or Magenta plan with two or more lines, or on any Go5G Plus or Magenta MAX single line plan, including Military, 55, and First Responder plans.What does magenta Max mean on T-Mobile? ›
The Magenta MAX plan is T-Mobile's top-of-the-line plan. It includes unlimited data, minutes, and messages as well as 40 GB of 4G LTE hotspot and full high-definition video streaming. If you sign up for more two or more lines, T-Mobile will include a Stanard Netflix subscription too.How much extra is Magenta Max? ›
All for the same price as Magenta Plus, just $57 per line per month for three lines with autopay and monthly taxes and fees included. But right now, switch and get Magenta MAX for just $47 per line per month for three lines with autopay for a limited time. And Magenta MAX isn't just the best plan at T-Mobile.
|Data Max Speed||5G / 4G LTE|
|Data Throttled After||100 GB|
|Data Overage Charges||$0.00|
If you are new to T-Mobile, call 1-800-TMOBILE or go to your nearest T-Mobile store to activate a Go5G 55+, Magenta 55+ or Essentials 55+ plan. If you already have a T-Mobile account, contact us to change your plan to a Go5G 55+, Magenta 55+ or Essentials 55+ plan.How much does Magenta Max cost per line? ›
You can add lines on your account and get Unlimited Talk, Text and Data for each phone. All monthly charges, taxes and fees are included: 1 line on Magenta MAX costs $85/month with AutoPay. 2 lines on Magenta MAX cost $140/month with AutoPay.What does Magenta plus include? ›
Here's what you get in addition to everything Magenta offers for your Phone: Unlimited HD streaming in the US. 20GB of 4G LTE mobile hotspot data with unlimited 3G data. 2x the data speed abroad - In 215+ countries and destinations (approx.How do I claim my free Netflix with T-Mobile? ›
To get Netflix for free with T-Mobile, sign up for an eligible Magenta plan. After choosing your plan, head to the T-Mobile app or My T-Mobile site. Go to the Add-Ons section and select your desired subscription. Follow the prompts and log in to your Netflix account to confirm your subscription.Is T-Mobile Magenta Max really unlimited? ›
T-Mobile Magenta Max FAQs
Unlimited isn't actually unlimited. There's typically a data cap at which your download speeds will slow to 2G data or 3G speeds.
How many lines can you add on T-Mobile? You can have up to 12 voice lines and 20 mobile internet lines on a regular Magenta or Magenta MAX customer account, Essentials plans may have up to six voice lines. Customers may be subject to a deposit depending on their credit and the number of lines they want to add.Is roaming free with Magenta Max? ›
No roaming charges. Your phone works the moment you arrive. Plus, you get unlimited calling to Mexico and Canada from the US for FREE. Unlimited calling, texting, and high-speed data with up to 5GB, then unlimited upto 128kbps: Magenta MAX, Magenta, ONE, Simple Choice, Business Unlimited and more.